Friday, December 19, 2008

Crafty Momma

I am not crafty. As much as I'd like to be crafty, I'm just not. I'd love to knit or sew or crochet but several failed attempts have left me with the realization that my visual perception is too poor and my patience too short. I cook. I clean. That's my contribution to domestic goodness and I'm ok with that.
I had an idea earlier this week though to make Caleb some toys for Christmas. He loves simple things - I suppose all babies do. Tupperware lids, paper towel rolls and an empty wipes box entertain him for hours. I decided to take some empty water bottles and fill them with fun stuff - beads, glitter, other sparkly things (with the cap super glued shut so as not to come open). He can then shake, throw or roll to his heart's content. And it worked! I made something! And he likes it! I am way super proud of myself.


My other big win yesterday was Caleb's dinner. There's a recipe in my baby food cook book for a vegetable custard. I've tried twice before to make it and failed. The first time I thought the problem was that I'd used Enfamil instead of cow's milk. The second time I used cow's milk and the stupid thing still didn't set. Last night I tried again and it worked! I used half the amount and doubled the cooking time. I'm assuming there's a typo because Super Baby Foods has a very similar recipe and it calls for a much longer cooking time. Caleb loved the custard! It was his first time to eat egg and he gobbled it up (veggies were carrots, green beans, broccoli and peas). Hooray!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Momma. I love you!
You are the best!

-Caleb told me to post this

Kasey said...

That veggie custard looks yummy!

Poppy Lynn said...

Please feed my grandson - although, I must admit that his photos don't suggest that he's fading away... :) We look forward to seeing all of you tomorrow night. Love to you all. Dad/Lynn/Poppy