Sunday, January 25, 2009

Alone Time

My favorite time of the day is naptime. And no, it's not because I like to watch my precious angel sleep, it's because it's the only time of the day that I'm alone in the house. Well, the baby is still here but it's as close to alone time as it gets on most days so I'll take what I can get. I feel somewhat like a horrible mother for saying this but the peace and quiet is pure bliss. I can get so much done so much faster when Caleb's asleep. My mother had warned me of this before he was born and she's totally right. Doing anything or going anywhere with a baby is really complicated. For example, if I want to fold laundry I have to first make sure Caleb is well occupied with toys and located in a safe spot (ie. middle of the living room rug). Then I have to sprint to the laundry room, grab a basket and pull the clothes out of the dryer before he has time to notice I'm gone and crawl into the laundry room and start playing with Chloe's water or food bowls. Then I have to sprint back into the living room with the basket and make sure that instead of following after me he didn't instead head for his room or the kitchen and find something else to get into. Assuming we're both safely back in the living room I can then fold clothes until he notices the basket. I've found the easier thing to do is to dump the clean clothes on the couch and just give him the basket up front. He loves it and until I do he's going to stand there and "help" me fold all the while trying to pull the basket onto the floor. If I give him the basket up front he'll be occupied for a good 10 minutes in which time I can fold everything and even put some stuff away. All piles of clothes must be placed on the top of the couch though b/c any piles left on the seat will be pulled onto the floor by the baby who by this time is bored with the basket. (You just brush off the dog hair and re-fold - nobody will ever know. Until now at least).

It's not that I don't love being with my child - I do more than everything. But it's also nice to have a little quiet time every now and then. Off to fold laundry...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On today's run he vocalized his disagreement with the route I chose for us... "Baaaaaaah..Baaaaaaah" ..