Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 2: Tropical Storms and Pistachio Creme Brulee

I love creme brulee. It's probably my favorite dessert ever. And the pistachio creme brulee we had tonight? Made me seriously consider moving to Argentina for like a full 30 seconds. Wow.


I like it here. Of all the places we've gone on vacation this is by far the most livable. Meaning I really could see myself living here and being happy. We've traveled to some crazy places but none had any "home" potential. This does. No worries, I'm not jumping ship anytime soon. But it feels good here. Normal, understandable (with Juan's help), and just comfortable.


We slept in (woo hoo!) and then had a lovely breakfast in the club. We're nearing tarnished iron status with Hilton as our years of traveling have finally worn off. Luckily though we managed to get a room on the club floor and free breakfast each morning. Love that.


We then took off to see the botanical gardens in Palermo. I was super excited to see the plants and trees. Unfortunately though the gardens are closed due to some major storm last week. We instead headed off to the park, toured the rose garden, took pictures of the meteroite at the planetarium and then went to MALBA to appreciate some modern art. They're showing an Andy Warhol exhibit now. I had no idea he was from Pittsburgh. We spent a few hours there and headed to lunch.


Lunch was our first foray into Argentianian steak. The stuff dreams are made of right? Yeah, no. It was awful. Pretty, they do get points for pretty but the taste was bad. This was a place the book reccomended and I'd picked because it promised goat cheese. No goat cheese though and our meat was so over cooked that it was almost inediable. It was a good learning experience though and we headed back to the hotel for a nap. Yeah buddy - two hour nap every afternoon. Momma is all over that.


Tonight was our super fancy dinner at the French resturant. It was as close to Le Bec Fin as we've come in the last three years. Lovely. A great present from my sweet husband. The meat was amazing and made up for everything we lacked at lunch. And the icing on the cake? Pistachio creme brulee. Wow, just plain wow. I'm a happy girl.


We did get to have a short video call with los Abuelos y Caleb this afternnon. It was good to see C and know he's doing ok. I cried - it's hard to see your baby and not be able to hold him but I'm glad he's doing well at home. Chloe is fine too.


Tomorrow we're off to Recoleta to see how the upper crust lives. And to a tango show for dinner!

Pictures here.


Love to all,
Jan

No comments: