Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 6: Journey to the Bottom of the World

Now, those who know me well might roll their eyes and think I was exaggerating just a wee bit here. I'm not. Juan has drug me to the middle of freaking nowhere people. And although it's cool in a windy, moon-esque way, it's a bit out of my comfort zone and way, way too far away from my little boy. But, I'm coping and trying to keep the complaining to a minimum. We are seriously at the bottom of the world - closer to Antarctica here than back to Buenos Aires. Yoowza.

Our Tuesday started off well. We managed to hit one more place in BA - el Zanjon - and I am so glad we did. It was a super cool archaeological thingy and we could have spent lots more time there if our schedule permitted. But we were in a rush to get back and head to the airport so off we went.

The flight to El Calafate on Areolineas Aregntinas was not fun. The plane was delayed 3 times and when we finally boarded it was very cramped. The flight down was a bit over three hours and we could see the coast and absolutely no form of human life.

We laded around 7:45 or so, got out luggage and took a taxi out here to the hotel. It's crazy here. Little vegetation, roaring winds and a big beautiful glacial lake. You will have to see the pictures to understand what I'm talking about.

My rant for yesterday (which became evident once we arrived (via a dirt road! hello!) at our nice hotel) is that tour places here in El Calafate do not take or make reservations. The hotel can make a pre-reservation of sort which guarantees nothing. And so we found out upon arrival (after 8pm) that all the tours were full for today. Probably. Because they don't take reservations. Whatever. So, what we'll be able to do on Wed and Thurs is still up in the air. It's actually Wed am now and Juan is pacing around waiting for me to finish to we can take a taxi to town to try and make make some sort of plan.

Will post pictures later.

Love to all,
Jan

No comments: